In cosmetic procedures and skincare, it’s hard to know exactly which treatment will best serve different face areas. One of the growing favorites is Restylane for those who want to smoothen their wrinkles, sculpt lips, and improve other facial features. Restylane’s primary ingredient is hyaluronic acid (HA), which is a substance naturally found in the skin that holds water to help keep the skin looking plump and hydrated.
With age, the body loses collagen in the skin, particularly in the lips, nose, cheeks, and under-eye area, making the person’s appearance look exhausted. The FDA approved Restylane in December 2003, and it can be administered independently or combined with other treatments. The long-lasting result is another benefit to expect that can last six months or more.
What Are The Types Of Restylane?
Restylane filler has different types formulated to have a specific texture, density, and injection depth to work best for certain areas and purposes, which include:
- Restylane’s Classic- Its formula fills wrinkles and plumps lips. This type of Restylane is one of the most popular fillers for the tear trough region or the under-eye hollows.
- Restylane Silk- It has the finest form that adds subtle volume for lip enhancement, smooths fine lines around the mouth, and fills under-eye hollows.
- Restylane Refyne- It is a flexible filler ideal for movement areas to help soften nasolabial folds (a.k.a laugh lines) and marionette lines, the creases that run from the corners of the mouth to the chin. Also, it is one of the popular choices for under-eye hollows.
- Restylane Defyne- It helps fill severe, deep wrinkles and folds, such as laugh lines and marionette lines. Like Refyne, it’s a flexible filler meant for high movement areas.
- Restylane Lyft (formerly called Perlane)- It is a strong filler that adds volume to hands and cheeks. Sometimes, it is also used in nonsurgical nose jobs, though it’s not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- Restylane Kysse- It is an FDA-approved for augmenting lips and treating upper perioral rhytids, the lip wrinkles sometimes called smoker’s lines. While Restylane Silk lasts about six months on the lips, Kysse results are shown to last up to a year.
- Restylane Contour- It was recently approved by the FDA for cheek augmentation and contouring the mid-face. It utilizes the brand’s proprietary XpresHAn Technology to integrate the filler’s gel seamlessly into the skin, promoting more natural movement with each facial expression.
What Can Restylane Injections Treat?
Restylane is highly successful at treating the following:
- Crow’s Feet
- Deep Scarring
- Lower Eyelid Wrinkles
- Lip Wrinkles
- Smile Lines
- Fine lines around the mouth, eyes, and lips
What To Expect During The Restylane Treatment?
Administered in the doctor’s office, Restylane injections are typically for patients aged 35 to 60. It is primarily performed with local anesthesia, in case it’s treated in the lip. Patients may experience pain and discomfort from the needle during injection since Restylane contains no lidocaine like collagen.
The Restylane procedure can take from a few minutes up to 30 minutes, depending upon the extent of the treatment. In fact, patients can return home shortly after the procedure. Below are the steps to expect during the Restylane procedure:
The doctor will make the selection of one or more injection points for each location to be treated. Also, an application of antiseptic will be made.
Restylane’s correct dosage will be identified by the doctor.
Then, the Restylane filler will be injected under the skin into the treatment areas using an ultrafine needle.
Within one week, the results of Restylane treatment will be fully evident by then. Known for its success rate, Restylane helps reduce or eliminate deep wrinkles that cannot be accomplished when using other procedures like microdermabrasion or chemical peel.
What Are The Risks When Using Restylane?
Like any other procedure, Restylane didn’t come without any risk. It may cause serious side effects, including:
- swelling in the of the face, throat, or tongue
- difficulty breathing,
- redness, blistered, swollen, or peeling skin with or without fever,
- unusual hoarseness,
- severe irritation where the medication was injected,
- severe swelling where the medication was injected,
- change of skin color where the medication was injected,
- pain immediately after injection,
- vision changes,
- trouble speaking or with your balance
- drooping face on one side, and
- loss of eyesight
Who Should Not Receive This Treatment?
Avoid Restylane in case of the following:
- allergic to bacterial protein
- taking blood thinners
- pregnant or breastfeeding
- under age 21
How Long Do Restylane Results Last?
As indicated, the results of Restylane are immediate and can usually last around 6-8 or up to 12 months at the most. Also, the result will be dependent on the age or the severity of the area being treated. Those who receive Restylane for lip augmentation will often notice that they have to receive more often follow-up treatments than those who use Restylane for wrinkles on the face.
What Is The Average Cost Of Restylane?
In 2019, the average cost of a Restylane injection procedure was $652, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS). Generally, this is a cost estimate based on the price per syringe of Restylane, the provider administering the injection, and the facility’s location. However, the cost will also be dependent on the number of syringes needed for Restylane.
On average, Restylane injections can cost $400 to $800 per syringe in the United States. To achieve the best results in each area, injectors receive guidelines regarding the number of syringes needed. That means the actual number of syringes used varies significantly by a candidate, considering the variations like gender, muscularity, treatment area, the severity of the issue, and desired results.
With over 50 million treatments worldwide, Restylane is a line of hyaluronic acid-based facial fillers that help smooth wrinkles and plump the cheeks, under-eye, nose, and lips. MilfordMD Cosmetic Dermatology Surgery & Laser Center offers Restylane® Refyne, a dermal filler injected under the (facial) skin. Once in place, it helps smooth “smile and laugh lines” – the wrinkles and folds (such as nasolabial folds) that may form at the sides of the nose and run down toward the corners of the mouth.