Many women seek a Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) to increase the size and shape of their butt, achieving that hourglass shape. The BBL is a popular fat grafting procedure that uses liposuction to remove unwanted fat from the waist, back, and sides and re-insert the fat back into the patient’s buttocks and hips to create an appealing, hourglass shape. A Brazilian Butt Lift recovery time averages from two to six weeks, which varies from patient to patient.
Far apart from other forms of but lift surgery, a Brazilian butt lift does not use silicone implants and uses the individual’s fat. This only means that the Brazilian butt lift provides more natural results, and this method is safe since it doesn’t involve implanting a foreign body. In addition, Brazilian butt lifts have a lower risk of infection and reactions than silicone buttock implants.
What Happens During The Procedure?
As indicated, this butt lift procedure involves fat grafting known for its natural-looking results. Hence, the following steps can be expected during the BBL procedure:
- The BBL procedure is typically performed under anesthesia, but in procedures where a smaller fat volume is transferred, it may be done with only local anesthesia (numbing medication). Patients may ask for an anti-nausea medication beforehand, especially if anesthesia makes them sick.
- The surgeon then uses liposuction to remove fat from other body areas, such as the stomach, hips, and thighs. Note that liposuction itself involves making incisions in the skin following the use of a tube to remove the body fats.
- Once the stored fats have just been removed from the body, they are purified and readied for injection into the buttocks.
- The procedure finishes by injecting the processed fat into specific areas of the buttocks to create a more rounded, full look. The surgeon makes 3-5 incisions around the buttocks for fat transfers.
- Incisions on both liposuction and fat transfer are closed up with stitches. The surgeon then applies a compression garment against the affected areas of the skin to minimize the risk of bleeding.
What Are The Brazilian Butt Lift Benefits?
Not similar to other forms of buttock surgery, BBL is praised for providing more natural-looking results while also creating more roundness in the backside. It can also help address issues like sagging and shapelessness that sometimes occur with age.
Another benefit to Brazilian butt lifts is a lower infection risk compared to silicone buttock implants. In fact, BBL has a better safety profile than other substances, such as silicone caulking and sealants, that are sometimes illegally injected into buttocks by people not qualified to perform the procedure.
Who Are Good Candidates For The BBL Procedure?
An adult at least 18 years old can get a Brazilian butt lift. While getting a Brazilian butt lift is a personal decision, pursuing the wants and desires of the body can be very empowering. The following are good candidates who can undergo the BBL procedure:
- Anyone who lost the natural shape of their buttocks due to age or weight fluctuations.
- Those who don’t feel comfortable in their clothes.
- People with enough fat reserves in other body parts, such as the abdomen or thighs, for grafting.
- Nonsmokers, since smoking can delay wound healing.
- Anyone with a healthy body weight and willing to maintain their weight post-procedure.
- Those with no plans to get pregnant since pregnancy can cause weight fluctuations, affecting the procedure results.
- Lead a healthy lifestyle, including regular exercise and a proper diet.
- Those with no recent infections or complications concerning surgery.
- People who don’t tend to develop scarring or keloids.
- Anyone with realistic aesthetic goals.
- Those who want natural results, without much change in their structure or ability to wear clothes comfortably.
- Those who do not have any serious underlying medical conditions.
What’s The Recovery Timeline?
The final results of BBL can be expected in at least two to three weeks. It’s vital to note that some of the grafted fat won’t successfully take to the procedure, so the body needs time to flush it out of the system. Typically, 60% to 80% of the transferred fat cells survive.
Moreover, taking it easy for the first week following the BBL is best. No exercise or strenuous activity should occur during this vulnerable time of recovery while having someone available to assist around the house. If possible, make preparations to minimize chores like cooking, laundry, and child care.
More importantly, waiting six weeks is important before getting back into a regular exercise routine. Depending on the job’s physical demands, most people can expect to return to work within 14 days of a BBL. It usually takes about eight weeks to sit again, so the surgeon can explain how to modify the sitting position and make recommendations for cushions to sit on.
What are The Possible Risks Of BBL?
Along with infection and the risks associated with anesthesia, other potential complications of a BBL include:
- Fat necrosis
- Numbness or nerve damage
- Seroma (fluid accumulation)
- Skin discoloration
The risk of complications can be reduced after a Brazilian butt lift by researching doctors thoroughly. Choose a board-certified surgeon who has done many successful BBLs. Ask for before and after pictures from the surgeon and ensure the surgery will happen at an accredited surgery center or hospital.
How To Maximize BBL Results?
To maximize the result, the following tips can be done:
- Wearing the right garments
- Feed the fat
- Creative sleeping
- No driving
- Sit on your thighs
- No smoking
- Exercise starting around week 8
- PRP/Stem Cells
- Stay Hydrated
- Keep a stable weight
The Bottom Line
Brazilian Butt Lift, or BBL, has increased in popularity since it offers a better chance at creating more fullness in the backside as long as a board-certified, experienced surgeon performs it. At MilfordMD Cosmetic Dermatology Surgery & Laser Center, they offer Brazilian Liquid Butt Lift, or butt augmentation, which is a minimally invasive procedure that can help result in more youthful, augmented buttocks. Ultimately, the BBL is a safer method to augment the buttocks, and since autologous fat transfer uses one’s own fat cells, the result is lasting.