What is Restylane® Defyne?
Restylane® Defyne is a dermal filler injected under the (facial) skin and is for deep wrinkles that need a lift, such as the nasolabial folds (the parenthesis). Once in place, it helps smooth “smile and laugh lines” – the wrinkles and folds (such as nasolabial folds) that may form at the sides of the nose and run down toward the corners of the mouth. Restylane® Defyne preserves the ability to have normal expression and has been shown to maintain effectiveness for the treatment of “smile and laugh lines” for up to 12 months.
What Does Restylane® Defyne Help Treat?
Restylane® Defyne is FDA-approved for the treatment of moderate to severe, deep facial wrinkles and folds (such as nasolabial folds) by working on very deep lines with the highest level of support.
Restylane® Defyne boasts ways to deliver natural-looking results for deep, severe lines which require a lot of support:
- Integrates with your skin: Restylane® Defyne is designed to mimic your body’s own hyaluronic acid (HA), a naturally occurring sugar that gives skin moisture, volume, and elasticity—for optimal integration.
- Offers the flexibility you want: Restylane® Defyne is flexible with a consistent texture for natural movement and expressions.
Who is a Good Candidate for a Restylane® Defyne Treatment?
Many individuals who come into our office are interested in learning about the latest products that can help them achieve natural-looking results. Oftentimes, they are unsure about starting with dermal fillers because they are worried about not looking natural, questioning if it’s worth the investment and generally unsure about trying fillers. The introduction of this next-generation HA dermal filler with XpresHAn Technology has the potential to change people’s mind about fillers. Patients who have been treated with injectables between the ages of 37 and 43 may be good candidates for Restylane® Defyne because they are soft gels that provide the lift they are looking for while allowing them to maintain natural expression in motion.
Call for Your Facial Rejuvenation Consultation Today!
To find out whether you are a good candidate for a Restylane® Defyne injectable treatment, call today to schedule your consultation: (570) 296-4000.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
The Restylane family of products includes Restylane®, Restylane-L®, Restylane® Lyft with Lidocaine, Restylane® Silk, Restylane® Refyne, and Restylane® Defyne.
Restylane® and Restylane-L® are for mid-to-deep injection into the facial tissue for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds. Restylane® and Restylane-L® are also indicated for injection into the lips in patients over the age of 21.
Restylane® Lyft with Lidocaine is for deep implantation into the facial tissue for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds and for cheek augmentation and for the correction of age-related midface contour deficiencies in patients over the age of 21.
Restylane® Silk is for lip augmentation and for correction of perioral wrinkles in patients over the age of 21.
Restylane® Refyne is for mid-to-deep injection into the facial tissue for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds, in patients over the age of 21.
Restylane® Defyne is for mid-to-deep injection into the facial tissue for the correction of moderate to severe deep facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds, in patients over the age of 21.
Are there any reasons why I should not use products within the Restylane® family? (Contraindications)
To ensure a safe procedure, your doctor will talk to you about your medical history to determine if you are an appropriate candidate for treatment. You should not use products within the Restylane family if:
- You have severe allergies with a history of severe reactions (anaphylaxis)
- You are allergic to lidocaine or to any of the gram-positive bacterial proteins used to make hyaluronic acid
- You are prone to bleeding or have been diagnosed with a bleeding disorder
Are there other precautions that I should discuss with my doctor?
- Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, pregnant, or trying to become pregnant. The safety of these products for use during pregnancy, or in women who are breastfeeding, has not been studied
- Restylane, Restylane-L, Restylane® Lyft with Lidocaine, Restylane Refyne and Restylane Defyne are intended to treat facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds. Restylane and Restylane-L are also intended for lip enhancement. Treatments in other areas of the face have not been evaluated in clinical studies.
- The safety and effectiveness of Restylane® Silk for areas other than the lips and perioral area have not been evaluated in clinical studies
- Tell your doctor if you have any history of scarring, particularly thick and stiff scars, or any pigmentation (skin color) disorders. These side effects can occur with hyaluronic acid fillers in general.
- Tell your doctor if you are planning other laser treatments or a chemical peel, as there is a possible risk of inflammation at the treatment site if these procedures are performed after treatment
- Patients who experience skin injury near the site of injection with these products may be at a higher risk for side effects
- Tell your doctor if you are on any medications to decrease your body’s immune response (immunosuppressive therapy). Using these medications may increase your risk of bruising or bleeding at the gel injection site.
- Tell your doctor if you are using any “blood thinners” such as aspirin, warfarin, or any other medications that affect bleeding. Using these medications may increase your risk of bruising or bleeding at the gel injection site.
- The use of these products on gel injection sites with skin sores, pimples, rashes, hives, cysts, or infections should be postponed until healing is complete. Use of product in these areas could delay healing or make your skin problems worse.
What are the possible side effects?
The most commonly observed side effects are swelling, redness, pain, bruising, headache, tenderness, lump formation, and itching at the injection site. These are typically mild in severity and typically resolve in less than 7 days in nasolabial folds and less than 14 days in lips. Serious but rare side effects include delayed onset infections, recurrence of herpetic eruptions, and superficial necrosis at the injection site.
One of the risks with using this product is unintentional injection into a blood vessel. The chances of this happening are very small, but if it does happen, the complications can be serious, and may be permanent. These complications, which have been reported for facial injections, can include vision abnormalities, blindness, stroke, temporary scabs, or permanent scarring of the skin.
As with all skin injection procedures, there is a risk of infection.
To report a side effect with any of the Restylane products, please call Galderma Laboratories, L.P at 1-855-425-8722.
The Restylane family of products is available only through a licensed practitioner. Complete Instructions for Use are available at www.RestylaneUSA.com.