Non-surgical rhinoplasty, also called liquid rhinoplasty, is a ’15-minute nose job’ that injects a filler ingredient, such as hyaluronic acid, underneath the skin to change the structure of the nose temporarily. Dermal fillers are actually used in the procedure, ideal for people looking to smooth out bumps on noses or make them look less angular. This treatment is the answer for those not ready for a permanent solution due to the risks and downtime involved in a traditional rhinoplasty.
How Does Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty Work?
The procedure typically takes between 15-30 minutes. A small amount of dermal filler is injected, using a fine hypodermic needle, into the skin of the nose to smooth out the surface. The cosmetic physician will gently smooth out the treatment area afterward, which gives an extra height, corrects, and creates a nose definition.
Dermal Fillers can also improve the tip of the nose to provide a more upturned and refined shape. While liquid nose jobs don’t take long, choosing an experienced cosmetic physician with many years of experience injecting faces is crucial. There have been cases of blood flow being affected in the nose if the injections aren’t placed correctly.
How To Select the Appropriate Dermal Filler?
The available fillers for non-surgical rhinoplasty primarily include cross-linked HA products (Restylane, Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus, and CaHA (Radiesse). However, the two most commonly used fillers for injectable rhinoplasty seem to be Restylane and Radiesse.
This is used to smooth out uneven bridges or humps. Due to the aging process, many people lose volume around the nose, causing the shape of the nose to appear different. Restylane injections can help restore youthful volume on or in the area around the nose and reverse these changes.
Radiesse is made of calcium hydroxyapatite that can be injected into the nose to help correct bumps, droopy tips, or asymmetries. It can also be applied to elevate the cheekbone area. Doctors can apply it to restructure the contour of the chin so that it projects farther in the profile view.
Juvéderm Ultra 4
This nose filler contains hyaluronic acid (HA) to smooth the skin by filling in skin depressions. Not only that, but it can help diminish the appearance of wrinkles, mainly around the nose and lips. In the United States, Juvederm Ultra 4 other name is Juvederm Ultra Plus.
Juvederm Ultra Plus
This is Juvederm Ultra’s thicker version of dermal filler that is used to correct deep nasolabial folds, more severe facial wrinkles, and marionette lines and to fill in depressed areas in the cheeks.
How To Prepare For The Treatment?
Since there are different filler ingredients, guidelines on how to prepare before the procedure may vary. Nonetheless, the provider should give detailed instructions on what to do before a non-surgical rhinoplasty, which include:
- Avoid aspirin, anti-inflammatory medication like ibuprofen, vitamin E supplements, and other blood-thinning supplements the week before the procedure. Make sure to inform the doctor if taking any blood-thinning medication.
- Be aware of vitamin K levels so that the risk of bruising can be avoided. Weeks before the procedure, eating lots of green, leafy vegetables is suggested for vitamin K boosting.
- Always drink plenty of water and eat a meal before the appointment. Don’t overeat since the patient may feel nauseous during or after the appointment, but make sure to eat something with starch and protein.
What Benefits Do Non-surgical Rhinoplasty Provide?
- Much cheaper than conventional surgery
- No hospital visit or overnight stay
- A short period of recovery
- No dressing or bandages required
- Bruising and swelling are minimal
- Natural-looking and instant results
- The filler can be added or removed if required
What Can Areas Be Addressed?
A non-surgical rhinoplasty targets the bridge, tip, and sides of the nose. In fact, dermal fillers can be injected around any part of the nose to modify its shape. This procedure works well for those wanting to:
- smooth out small bumps on the nose
- make the tip of the nose more prominent
- add volume to the nose
- lift the tip of the nose
Additionally, those with a mild prominent bump of the bridge of their nose can camouflage it and smooth the contour of their nose profile. However, liquid rhinoplasty won’t be able to give desired results for those who want their nose to look smaller or smooth out more prominent bumps.
What Is The Recovery Like for Nonsurgical Rhinoplasty?
Liquid rhinoplasty is a non-invasive cosmetic procedure that requires minimal downtime. After the non-surgical nose job, it is best to avoid any pressure around the area being injected for 1 to 2 weeks post-treatment.
Like any injectable cosmetic procedure, it is expected to have slight swelling, redness, and bruising at the injection sites. These side effects shouldn’t last long, but if they persist, contact a medical professional for advice.
However, one serious side effect of liquid rhinoplasty can be if the filler accidentally blocks a blood vessel. Although this is rare, it highlights the importance of consulting with an experienced practitioner who has experience using the hyaluronidase enzyme, which can dissolve the filler.
What Are Aftercare Instructions to Follow?
Aftercare has to be taken very seriously; hence, the following is recommended after the treatment:
- Don’t smoke for at least 24-36 hours (smoking is not recommended post-procedure)
- Avoid any hot drinks post-procedure, as this can affect the filler.
- Avoid any exercise for 24 hours post-procedure.
- Avoid consuming any alcohol for 24 hours before and after the treatment.
- Avoid using any make-up or skincare products/spray tan/direct sunlight, sun exposure, heat, tanning beds, and sauna.
- Use a facial cleansing wipe only to clean the face, avoiding the facial area. Avoid any water on the injected area.
- Ensure not to touch or massage the injected area unless necessary.
- Avoid wearing glasses.
- Use Arnica Cream (TM) after the treatment to help with any bruising or discomfort (only if required)
- Apply cool compresses to injected areas for 5 minutes up to 4 times daily, if needed.
- Restrict facial movements where possible Up to 1-3 weeks post-procedure.
- Avoid chewing gum and kissing.
- Keep the head elevated while sleeping for 48 hours post-procedure to help prevent swelling.
- Sleep in an upright position, face-up, to help reduce any swelling (3-7 nights post-procedure)
- Avoid any dental appointments, facial appointments, and chemical treatments (4 weeks post-procedure)
- Avoid excessive heat – swimming pools, sauna, steam rooms, and hot showers for at least 48 hours post-procedure
- Paracetamol is advised for patients with post-procedure discomfort (Ibuprofen should be avoided)
How Long Does the Result Last?
The results usually become evident within one or two weeks after the session. The results can last for about four months to 3 years, depending on the type of dermal fillers used.
Most filler ingredients dissolve into the skin within 5 to 6 months, while some last up to 3 years. Patients may need to undergo an occasional nose filler session after that to maintain the results.
The Bottom Line
Non-surgical rhinoplasty using dermal fillers can help produce an effect that aesthetically balances the nose with the rest of the facial features. MilfordMD Cosmetic Dermatology Surgery & Laser Center offers Non-surgical Rhinoplasty, a non-invasive procedure for dramatically improving nasal bumps, indentations, drooping nasal tips, or changing the shape of the bridge of the nose without side effects and downtime. Ultimately, with new, injectible soft tissue augmentation materials, we can offer the perfect alternative to invasive, unpredictable nasal surgery with immediate results.